Wednesday 25 June 2008

My little farewells to London: Soho


Another meeting with friends is over. I should be heading home, but tonight I think I will take my time.
I am in Soho, the posh side. Expensive bars and well dressed people.
Just one street further north and the picture changes. Bars, restaurants, cafes, a catholic church hosting an order of capuchin monks, a van full of alcohol and a group of people drinking in the back of it, some dark gay bars, not the flashy main stream.

What I like in this ambience is the colourful collection of people that would not fit together if seen in any other place. Soho has an impressive dominating effect on visitors, even on the regulars. It makes you believe that there everything is possible. Any time of night or day you can see anything. Just pretend you were expecting it.

I give my best friend a call to share the experience.
Sitting in his comfy bed in his familiar suburban environment has the most mum-like reaction I would (or would not) expect. You are in Soho? Be careful! It’s late!

Calm down silly!! Who would harm ME, in my bright yellow dress? Says confident me.
(Do not seek the logic in this, there is none!)

I like the dirty side of Soho, the one that you have the slight feeling of fear in the back of your head but you know that every corner is full of excitement and new experiences. I keep heading north. There I see empty restaurants, tired waiters cleaning up, and some Italians complaining about their recent loss in Euro 2008… oh well… next time boys.

No comments: