Sunday 21 September 2008

Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. What about boys?

J’s latest obsession is diamonds. The bigger the better. She dreams of the day her boyfriend will pop the question and offer her the precious stone, man made, as she does not want the smell of human exploitation on her ring. Her, being a practical person despite all the princess dreams, keeps buying him rugby shirts and nice food. It works for them both.

M. seems to have a serious problem. Her boyfriend has it all, and what he does not have he does not want either. She never knows what to buy him. So she just does what he can’t do. Organize.

E. likes feeding her boyfriends little obsessions. So, presents come in the form of computer games, books, bottles of wine and so on.

F. likes travelling. The best present for her is to share the excitement of exploration with her beloved. So he offers a trip to Rome as a present, while she boosts his vanity and natural beauty with excellent pieces of clothing.

There is a certain balance in these relationships.

Myself, I never care about the actual present. I am more touched by the fact that someone made the effort to think of something that I might want. Time and energy spend to buy the present are nothing comparing to the small glimpse I get of the persons perception of me, his affection, and his values.

I always blush. The perfect unworthy…

But I also blush when I know I made a good choice of present.

The best present I ever made to a special someone is a phone call. There is no material memory of it. Maybe he does not even remember after all those years. But I know at the time it made him happy and excited. After all the feelings of the moment are the most precious, as life is now and this now changes constantly.

K. was stuck in Italy. Myself being in Greece went to the concert of his favourite singer. He was all envious and unhappy. After the show I went backstage and after 2 hours of queuing I had my chance to get an autograph signed. But… I did not ask for that. To the singers surprise I just asked her to use my phone and call K. in Italy so he can have a 2 minute phone call with his favourite voice of all times.

The singer was impressed. K. was deliriously happy. And I was blushing.

1 comment:

Φεβρωνία said...

My sweet little friend fortunately for us your gifts have always been exactly what seemed to have been missing from our lives...but since I am not a boyfriend or a lover or whatever you want to call it I have never seen the blush you refer to...I remember the phone call and it really was the best present ever!